Oranges are healthy not only as a diet but also as a skin care aid. Orange peels have more vitamin C than the fruit. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, which repairs skin, neutralizes free radicals, reduces sunburn, lightens tan and age spots, makes skin firm and forms collagen.
Health Benefits of Orange Peel
- The peel of the orange has much more vitamin C than the orange itself.
- Oranges also has antioxidants that gives you a clear and bright skin.
- The peel has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that make it very effective for acne-prone, and oily skin.
- It also works as a skin lightening and brightening agent and that cleats marks on the face and removes pigmentation.
- The astringent and antioxidant properties of the peel stay intact when used with various ingredients as face pack, face scrub, serums or creams.
How to use orange peel for skin care?
You can use orange peels as face pack, face scrub, serums, face creams, and as extracts and oils. Making an extract from orange peel is a very good idea as it stays for long and can be used in vitamin C creams and serums. Oils infused with orange peel are also very handy while making face creams and gels. Here are a few recipes for skin care with orange peel that you can try at home. You will see instant results. The best part of homemade products is you know what ingredients are going into the product and you can tweak it to suit your own skin needs.
Homemade orange peel Powder
For most recipes, you will need orange peel powder. This is very easy to make. You can make orange powder at home. First of all grate the peel of orange. Do not grate the pith. Now dry the peels in shade for a few days, till it loses all its moisture and is crisp. Now put these dried peels in a blender and grind them to a fine powder. Store this in an airtight sterilized glass bottle. It will keep for more than 6 months. Take care that there is no moisture in the bottle
Vitamin C toner with orange peels
Toners help to cleanse the pores, and nourish the skin. Toners add moisture to the skin.
- Peel of one orange
- A few lemon leaves
- 1 cup boiling water
Wash the orange and remove the peel. chop the peel finely and place in a jar. Add 1 cup of hot water to the peels. Cover and let it steep for 4-5 hours. Strain it and pour in an amber spray bottle. Use it after cleaning your face twice a day. You can just spray it on your face or use a cotton ball to dab it on your face and neck. Let the skin absorb the toner for a minute before you use a serum or moisturizer.
Orange Peel Vitamin C Serum
- 1 tsp orange peel powder
- 6 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp of aloe vera gel
- 5 drops of vitamin E
First add the orange peel to the rose water and mix well. Keep aside for 2 hours. Filter and and keep aside. Now add the aloe gel to the rose cum orange peel water and mix well. Add 1/4 tsp of vitamin E oil to this and again mix well. We must add vitamin E to reduce the oxidation of vitamin C. Apply this serum to your face and night and wash in the morning. It is better to use this serum at night as vitamin C is photosensitive and and may cause sunspots on your face if you apply this and go out during the day.
Keep this serum in an amber bottle and protect it from light. Keep it in the refrigerator and use within two weeks. Use this serum and you will see a difference in a week. It tightens the skin and makes it soft, and radiant. It also helps reduce pigmentation. It is very good for oily skin.
Orange Peel Face Packs
For oily skin
- 1/2 tablespoon of orange powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of Fuller’s earth
- Rose water as required
Mix all the above ingredients into a fine paste and apply on your face and neck. Keep for 10 minutes and rinse when it is semi dry. This pack helps cleanse your face and gives it a healthy glow.
To remove tan and brighten the skin
- 1 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 1/4 tsp of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp fuller’s earth
- 1/2 tsp sandalwood powder
Make a paste a all the ingredients. You can add water as needed to make the paste. Apply it on your face and neck for 10- 15 minutes and rinse off. This also works for acne-prone skin.
Orange peel night cream
- 1 table spoon aloevera gel
- 1/2 tsp orange peel infused oil
- 1/2 tsp orange peel glycerin extract
- 1/2 tsp grapeseed oil
- Vitamin E 1/4 tsp
To make this cream, take 1 tablespoon aloe gel in a cup. Add all the other ingredients to it. Mix it well. Mix it till it turns creamy. Keep it in an airtight jar and use as a night cream.
This cream is very simple to make and believe me it makes your skin feel so soft and silky smooth. Your skin will begin to glow and look radiant. This cream removes pigmentation and brightens skin
The video below shows you how to make this amazingly simple cream
Orange Face Scrub
- 2 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 2 tablespoon rice powder
- Rose water
Mix the rice powder and orange peel powder together and keep in a glass jar for regular use. For the scrub, take 1/2 a tablespoon of the powder in a cup and add 1/4 tsp honey and 1 tsp of rose water to it.
Mix well and scrub your face with this for about 3-4 minutes, and then wash your face and pat it dry. Rose water soothes irritated skin and tones it and cleans pores. Honey is a natural humectant which keeps the skin moist without making it oily.
How to make and orange peel extract?
Glycerin is a humectant and helps to keep the skin moisturized. When you infuse glycerin with orange peels, you get orange peel extract which is very good for the skin and helps draw moisture into your skin. Click here to watch the video on making orange peel extract. It is very easy to make.
- Grate the orange peels of 2 oranges. Do not grate the pith
- Put the orange peel in a glass jar.
- Pour vegetable glycerin into the glass jar so that it covers the orange peel completely.
- Screw the lid tightly onto the top of the jar and shake the jar well. Do this every day for 6 weeks or as often as you can.
- Keep the jar in a dark place in your pantry or cupboard for 6 weeks.
- After six weeks, sieve it and pour it in a glass bottle to use in skin care formulations.