The herb Phyllanthus niruri is a widespread tropical plant commonly found in coastal areas. Phyllanthus niruri grows throughout the hotter parts of India. It grows along the bunds and ridges in cultivated fields. The plant grows to a height of 15-60 cm. The leaves are small, close to each other, and arranged in two rows so that the branches resemble compound leaves. The stems are erect, short, and herbaceous. This herb has many medicinal uses and health benefits and can be used as a home remedy to treat many medical conditions.
How do you identify the Keelanelli Plant
Keelanelli is a plant that grows to about 20 – 28 inches in height and has ascending branches with very small leaves. You can identify it by the fruits that grow under the leaves in a straight line. They are round and green and quite tiny.
Botanical Name: Phyllanthus Niruri – Family: Euphorliaceae
Common Name: Stonebreaker
Hindi:- Bhumi Amla
Spanish:- Chanca piedra
Health benefits keelanelli
Phyllanthus niruri is said to have antifungal, antiviral, and hypoglycaemic action. The aqueous extract of Phyllanthus niruri is reported to have an inhibitory effect on the human immunodeficiency virus. This traditional herb acts as a protective shield and curative medicine for Jaundice and other liver-related diseases. It is also used for menstruation and uterus problems in women. Phyllanthus niruri, called Chanca Piedra in Spanish grows in tropical areas of South America. It is called the stone breaker as it is used to cure people with kidney stones. It is named Quebra Pedra in Brazilian herbal medicine, where it is considered an effective remedy for urinary and bladder disorders as well as hepatic disorders and hyperglycemia.
1. Best herb to manage liver problems
Phyllanthus niruri extracts benefit the liver and protect it. Research says its protein fractions protected liver tissues against oxidative stress by improving antioxidative defense in mice. It is very useful in the treatment of liver diseases like jaundice and liver cirrhosis. It helps to remedy fatty liver and liver damage due to any reason. It promotes liver action, and it is the best herb to manage swelling in the liver and weak liver functioning. The herb not only detoxifies the liver but also nourishes it. Animal studies strongly support the view that P. niruri can be used as a promising hepatoprotective agent. Its activity can be attributed to the potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions of its phenolic constituents.
How to use
- Take 3-4 tsps of the juice of phyllanthus niruri. Mix it in a cup of water and drink this in the morning before breakfast once a day.
- You can also drink a herbal tea made with phyllanthus niruri.
- Add one teaspoon of Keezhanelli powder to warm water and consume it on an empty stomach. This is said to cure liver and eye problems.
2. Keelanelli for kidney stones
Bhumi amla, also known as the stone breaker, reduces the risk of kidney stones. A study on 56 patients with kidney stones showed that Phyllanthus niruri increases the excretion of magnesium and potassium in urine and reduces urinary oxalate in patients with hyperoxaluria (having too much oxalate in your urine). Regular consumption of the herb helps to reduce urinary calculi ( solid particles in the urinary system). The herb also has alkalizing properties that may prevent the formation of gallstones and acidic kidney stones.
How to use
- Grind the whole plant with a little water and extract the juice. Consuming this regularly will reduce the size of the stones.
- Make an infusion with the dried Phyllanthus niruri and have it twice daily to treat kidney stones.
3. Keelanelli benefits for Hepatitis B and Jaundice
Hepatitis B is a disease that impairs the function of the liver. Keelanelli helps to manage this condition and improve liver function. It helps to reduce the symptoms of Hepatitis B and helps to keep you healthy. Phyllanthus niruri is good for hepatitis B as it has liver protective and antiviral activities which inhibit the virus responsible for causing hepatitis B. Niranthin is a lignan isolated from Phyllanthus niruri L. This plant has long been used in folk medicine for liver protection and anti-hepatitis B in many Asian countries. In a study on the anti-hepatitis B virus activity of niranthin, analysis of the liver pathological changes confirmed the hepatoprotective effect of niranthin. The researchers concluded that the experimental data demonstrated that niranthin exhibits anti-hepatitis B virus activity both in vitro and in vivo.
How to use
- Mix 1/2 a tsp of keelanelli powder in a cup of lukewarm water and have it twice a day after food.
- In Siddha medicine, the fresh root of the plant is ground and given with fresh milk to treat jaundice.
4. Health benefits for the hair
Phyllanthus niruri helps to regrow hair and control hair loss caused due to chemotherapy. Animal studies show that Phyllanthus niruri helps to control hair loss by preventing damage to hair follicles or by inhibiting the effect of chemotherapy drugs on hair follicles. It may also help in male pattern baldness caused due to male hormone imbalance.
How to use
- To regrow hair on the bald head, use keelanelli root oil regularly. The oil can be made from the roots of the herb. Cut the roots into small pieces and boil them in coconut oil. Once that is done, set it aside to cool down. Filter this oil and apply it regularly on the hair.
- Take 1/2 tsp of Keelanelli powder and mix it in lukewarm water. Drink this twice a day after food.
5. Health benefits for the skin
Phyllanthus niruri acts as a blood purifier and reduces skin disorders when taken internally. It helps to heal wounds and skin diseases like scabies and psoriasis. The fruits of this Keezhanelli plant are also useful in relieving wounds, tubercular ulcers, sores, and ringworm infections.
How to use
- The leaves of this plant when ground with salt can be applied to cure skin diseases like scabies.
- A poultice of keelanelli paste and turmeric is very effective against scabies and psoriasis.
- The powder of this plant is made into a paste with gruel water and applied to ulcers and wounds, to heal the wounds and ulcers quickly.
6. Health benefits for ulcers
Phyllanthus niruri helps prevent stomach ulcers by reducing gastric acid secretion. Since it is an antioxidant it protects gastric cells from damage. Keelanelli fresh juice leaf when taken internally helps in the regeneration of the mucosal layer and greatly helps treat ulcers, as this study suggests. According to the Unani system of medicine, the herb is stomachic and is useful in chronic dysentery.
How to use
Take 1/2 a tsp of keelanelli powder and mix with 1 cup of lukewarm water. Drink this twice a day after food
7. Health benefits for UTI
Phyllanthus niruri juice is very good for reducing the risk of urinary tract infections and burning sensation in urine. This is due to its antibacterial activity. Phyllanthus niruri is very effective in reducing urinary infections due to its antibacterial and diuretic properties. This helps increase the production of urine and manages urinary disorders.
How to use
- Mix 4-5 tsps of phyllanthus niruri juice in a cup of water and drink before breakfast once a day to prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Consuming a spoonful of fresh juice from the plant, along with sugar and cumin, helps to mitigate pain in urination.
Some more home remedies with Phyllanthus niruri
- A decoction of the whole plant is a very good remedy against malarial fever.
- It can be used to increase the appetite and locally to relieve inflammations.
- Infusion of young shoots is an effective cure to treat dysentery.
- Fresh juice of the whole plant along with clarified butter is very effective in the treatment of Menorrhagia, Leucorrhea and Gonorrhea.
- The whole plant also contains potassium. Regular intake of a small number of leaves in the morning on an empty stomach helps to get rid of the toxins.
- According to an article on the health benefits of Phyllanthus niruri in ‘NAMAH’ The Journal of Integral Health, “In the Konkan region, the root is ground down with rice water (conjee) and given as a remedy for menorrhagia or excessive menstrual flow.”
- The decoction prepared out of this herb by boiling the plant is said to be very helpful in treating diabetes.
- The juice of this plant is recommended to be taken in doses of 45 to 50 ml early in the morning empty stomach to treat menorrhagia, leucorrhea, gonorrhea, and other urinary complaints.
- Keelanelli oil is prepared from its root to get rid of a migraine, and one-sided headaches. The roots are cut and boiled in coconut oil or sesame oil and set aside to cool down. This oil is then filtered and applied to the scalp to get relief from migraines.
How to make phyllanthus niruri powder
Cut a bunch of fresh stems with leaves from the plant first thing in the morning. This is when it has the most nutrients. Wash it thoroughly. Now cut it into small pieces and dry it in the sun. Once it has dried completely, Powder the leaves and stems in a mixer grinder. Sieve it and grind the large portions again. Store it in a glass jar for use.
How to make Phyllanthus niruri root oil for migranes
Take the Phyllanthus niruri root and clean it well so that all the mud gets washed out. Chop the roots into fine pieces. Now take sesame seed oil in a pan and add the roots to it. Cook the roots in oil till the moisture leaves the pan and the oil stops sizzling, and all the active compounds are released into the oil. Store in a glass bottle, once it has cooled.
Massage your head with this oil and leave for on the hair for an hour. Wash with a mild shampoo.
Side Effects and Precautions
Phyllanthus niruri, when taken in prescribed quantities does not have any side effects.
People taking medicines for diabetes and blood pressure should consult their doctor, as the herb lowers blood sugar and blood pressure.
The most common side effects are abdominal pain and diarrhoea, when taken in excess. One human study found that Keelanelli supplementation led to abdominal pain, painful urination, blood in the urine and nausea. Abdominal pain was the most common, with the other side effects being much less commonly reported.