The herb Phyllanthus niruri is a widespread tropical plant commonly found in coastal areas. Phyllanthus niruri grows throughout the hotter parts of India. It grows along the bunds and ridges in cultivated fields. The plant grows to a height of 15-60 cm. The leaves are small, close to each other, arranged in two rows so that the branches resemble compound leaves. The stems are erect, short, and herbaceous. This herb has many medicinal uses and health benefits and can be used as a home remedy to treat many medical conditions.
Botanical Name: Phyllanthus Niruri – Family: Euphorliaceae
Common Name: Stone breaker
Hindi:- Buin anvalah
Spanish:- Chanca piedrain
This traditional herb acts as a protective shield and curative medicine for Jaundice and other liver-related diseases. It is also used for menstruation and uterus problems in women.
Studies conducted on mice show that:
- Phyllanthus niruri extracts benefit the liver and protect it. Research says its protein fractions protected liver tissues against oxidative stress by improving antioxidative defense in mice.
- Phyllanthus niruri extracts demonstrate lipid-lowering activities in cholesterol fed hyperlipemic rats.
- Phyllanthus niruri may lower blood pressure.
- Phyllanthus niruri benefits people with kidney stones. Its intake interferes with the growth of calcium oxalate crystals. Phyllanthus niruri normalizes elevated urinary calcium levels in calcium stone forming (CSF) patients.
Phyllanthus niruri Health benefits
Traditionally, Phyllanthus nriuri has been used as a home remedy in many countries. Its curative properties are well known.
- It helps in restricting the growth of hepatitis B virus found in the blood stream.
- The herb is said to have antifungal, antiviral and hypoglecemic action.
- Aqueous extract of Phyllanthus niruri is reported to have inhibitory effect on human immunodeficiency virus.
- Its very useful in the treatment of liver diseases like jaundice and liver cirrohosis. It helps to remedy fatty liver and liver damage due to any reason. It promotes liver action.
- It is also said to be used in the case of anorexia.
- It is diuretic and hence is used in urinary tract infections and bacterial infections like cyctitis and protastitis.
- The infusion of the root and leaves is a good tonic and diuretic when taken cold in repeated doses.
- A poultice of the leaves with salt cures scabby disorder of the skin. The poultice can also be applied on a bruise and wound without salt.
- The fresh root is believed to be an excellent remedy for jaundice.
- The milky juice of the plant is a good remedy to apply on offensive skin sores.
- According to Unani system of medicine, the herb is a stomachic and is useful in chronic dysentery.
- The fruits of the plant are useful for tubercular ulcers, wounds, sores, scabies and ring worm.
Phyllanthus niruri Home Remedies
- A decoction of the whole plant is a very good remedy against malarial fever.
- It can be used to increase the appetite and locally to relieve inflammations.
- The leaves and root have great medicinal value for the treatment of jaundice. The juice of the roots along with milk consumed twice a day – early in the morning and at bedtime, is a good cure for jaundice.
- Infusion of young shoots is an effective cure to treat dysentery.
- Fresh juice of the whole plant along with clarified butter is very effective in the treatment of Menorrhagia, Leucorrhea and Gonorrhea.
- Consuming a spoon of fresh juice from the plant, along with sugar and cumin, helps to mitigate pain in urination.
- The whole plant also contains potassium. Regular intake of a small quantity of leaves in the morning on an empty stomach helps to get rid of the toxins.
- According to an article on the health benefits of Phyllanthus niruri in ‘NAMAH’ The Journal of Integral Health, “In the Konkan region, the root is ground down with rice water (conjee) and given as a remedy for menorrhagia or excessive menstrual flow.”