Health benefits of Hibiscus rosa sinensis
Hibiscus rosa sinensis has been used in Siddha medicine, (traditional Tamil medicine from the South of India ) for many centuries. It is considered a laxative, aphrodisiac, and a emmenagogue (stimulates menstruation). It is a blood purifier and is good for curing cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), cough, syphillis, and gonorrhea. It is also said to be a very good natural source of vitamin C.
My mother swears by the hibiscus flower. She was suffering from chronic constipation, and only a person who has endured constipation knows how bad it really is. A couple of petals of the hibiscus flower every night, has totally cured her. She no longer suffers from it.
Medicinal uses and home remedies with Hibiscus
- The leaves when ground to a paste with fenugreek seeds and water, can be used as a shampoo and conditioner for hair.
- 8 to 10 hibiscus flowers soaked in 1 ½ litres of water overnight and consumed three to four times a day for 2 to 3 days (about 2 tbsp at a time) is good for urinary diseases.
- It cools the body and is said to be good for psychiatric ailments.
- Hibiscus is a very effective home remedy for hair loss. To prevent hair loss, the juice of the flowers is mixed with coconut oil and heated till the water evaporates. You can store the oil and apply it on the hair for ½ an hour before a bath. For more on hair fall and its remedies, click here.
- A decoction of the hibiscus flower, milk, jaggery and carom seeds is good for leucorrhea.
- About 5 hibiscus flowers ground to a paste, and consumed with water every morning on an empty stomach, for a week before the expected date of periods helps to regularise periods.
Hibiscus health benefits for the skin
Hibiscus is a plant with very powerful antioxidants and anti-ageing properties. It helps increase skin elasticity and firms and lifts up the skin. Hibiscus has citric acid and mallic acid. It also has a good amount of vitamin C, which helps in removing dark spots and pigmentation, thus giving your skin a more even tone.
Hibiscus is rich in antioxidants, called anthocyanocides, which help fight free radicals that damage the skin and result in premature ageing. These antioxidants also have astringent properties that help reduce the appearance of pores and give you a smoother looking complexion. Hibiscus also has an anti-inflammatory effect that helps soothe the skin, thus making it very suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Hibiscus has a good amount of mucilage that helps to retain the moisture on the skin, which helps in having a youthful complexion. It helps the skin stay hydrated, preventing it from drying. It thereby gives a soft, supple and smoother complexion.
Hibiscus is used quite frequently in DIY creams and face packs. Watch the videos below to know how to make them
Hibiscus health benefits for the hair
If you suffer from hair loss, hibiscus is the best remedy to reduce hair fall and help hair growth. Both hibiscus leaves and flowers can be used to stimulate hair growth. The naturally occurring amino acids in hibiscus flowers provide the hair with the nutrients that help in promoting hair growth. The amino acids produce a protein called keratin, which is very good for the hair. The high amount of mucilage in hibiscus helps to condition the hair and give it a shiny satiny-soft look. Research shows that hibiscis even prevents baldness and is very good at re-growing hair. Hibiscus also helps to treat dandruff and itching and also prevents premature greying of hair. If you have split ends or dry frizzy hair, hibiscus is the simple remedy which will solve all your hair problems.
You can make a simple hair oil with hibiscus flowers and leaves, which willhelp prevent hair fall and help re-grow hair.
Hibiscus Tea Health Benefits
Hibiscus has a mild flavour and is used to make tea in many cultures throughout the world. To make the tea, pour boiling water over 1 to 2 tbsp of the petals of the flower and let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain and drink. Drinking this tea helps to prevent skin, hair and other health issues