Cynodon dactylon(botanical name), is a perennial grass, forming thick mats, belonging to the family Poaceae. The grass called Bermuda grass is abundantly found in India. It is called Durva in Sanskrit, Dhub in Hindi, and ‘Arugam pullu’ in Tamil. It grows all over in tropical countries. This grass grows to a height of 1 foot. The leaves are of greyish green colour and are 4 to 15 cm long.
Cynodon dactylon is said to have many medicinal properties and health benefits, including antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It contains protein, fibre, calcium phosphorus, and potassium. It is an excellent detoxifier. It helps in maintaining the alkalinity of the blood. This is one of the reasons Bermuda grass is able to cure diseases.
In the Unani system of medicine, Cynodon dactylon is used as a laxative, expectorant, emetic, emmenagogue, carminative, coolant, brain and heart tonic, useful against grippe in children and for pain and inflammation.
Recent research at the University of Allahabad in India has shown the glycemic potential of Bermuda grass. The study conclusively proves that Bermuda grass extract has significant hypoglycemic as well as antidiabetic effects. The result of the research suggests that Cynodon dactylon may provide a therapeutic avenue against diabetes and diabetes-related complications in the future.
Health benefits of Cynodon dactylon:
One of the most important health benefits of Cynodon dactylon is that it helps the body help itself by optimizing the immune system. People have started to realize the importance of a healthy immune system in the maintenance of health and the prevention of disease. In a study made on the efficacy of Cynodon dactylon for immunomodulatory activity, it was found that cdpf (Cynodon dactylon protein fractions) promotes immunomodulation.
- This grass improves digestion and cures stomach ailments.
- Bermuda grass contains more than 65% chlorophyll. This helps in increasing the number of red blood cells in the body, which helps to increase haemoglobin levels in the body and thus prevents anaemia.
- Cures nervous weakness and general fatigue. It keeps the body strong and energetic.
- Another health benefit of cynodon dactylon is its ability to reduce acidity and eliminate toxins from the body.
- Continuous use helps in regular bowel movements and cures constipation.
- Its a good medicine for Insomnia.
- Helps to stop bleeding from the gums. Fortifies teeth and removes bad odour from the mouth. (Halitosis)
- Cures foot fissures.
- Improves breast milk production.
- Resists attack of cold and reduces phlegm.
- As said above, very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Its a an effective home remedy against skin rashes, itching and leprosy.
Bermuda grass health benefits for the skin
Cynodon dactylon is very good for the skin and cures many skin problems. It is avery good anti-inflammatory and antiseptic agent. Bermuda grass is used to treat various skin problems like itching, skin rashes, psoriases, fungal infections, and eczema.
Ayurveda has “grouped durva grass under skin friendly herbs. It helps to heal the wound fast and restores the color of skin. Use of Durva grass is recommended in Psoriasis, Herpes, unhealed wounds, allergic rashes and haemorrhoids. It heals the patches of psoriasis and restores the normal color of skin. This herb reduces itching, heals the scaly skin and imparts normal color to skin”, says a study in ‘Review Article on Medicinal and Versatile Uses of an Amazing, Obtainable and Valuable Grass: Cynodon dactylon‘ by
Papia Khatun and Shonkor Kumar Das
To get rid of skin issues, make a paste of this grass by mixing with turmeric powder and apply this paste externally on the skin. It is also used as a natural remedy to treat skin diseases like leprosy and scabies.
How to make bermuda grass juice extract:
Take a half a cup of the grass and wash it thoroughly. Extract the juice, by putting it in a blender using a little bit of water. You can also crush the grass in a mortar with a little water and squeeze the juice out. Add water to the juice in the proportion of 3 parts of water to one part of the extract. You can drink it directly or with coconut water added to it. This should preferably be taken in the morning. Avoid taking any drink or food for the next 3 hours. This juice extract can be taken twice or thrice a day, though it is best to take one dose in the morning.
Health benefits of Bermuda grass juice
Drinking this juice in the morning on an ampty stomach has a lot of benefits.
- It alkalizes the body and is very good for acidity and acidosis.
- It is a natural detoxifier. It cleanses the liver and flushes out toxins from the body.
- Bermuda grass juice helps to boost immunity.
- It regulates blood sugar.
- Drinking arugampul juice regularly helps to treat bleeding gums, and bad breath. It also strengthens the teeth.
- Bermuda juice is a very effective herbal remedy for regularising menstrual cycle, and to control heavy bleeding. It also helps to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Cynodon dactylon juice is a natural diuretic which is very effective in treating urinary tract infections, and kidney stones.
Home remedies with Cynodon dactylon
- Cynodon dactylon is an effective home remedy that helps to detoxify the body. Juice of cynodon dactylon, taken every morning on empty stomach, helps in removing toxins from the body.
- A paste made from cynodon dactylon and turmeric can be applied on skin to treat problems like scabies and eczema. Regular application of this paste cures eczema and scabies.
- Boil about 10 gm of Cynodon dactylon and 2 gm of white pepper in 50 ml water and reduce it to 25 ml. Cool it and add a spoon of butter. This is said to treat anal itch and urinary tract infection.
- A paste of cynodon dactylon mixed in a cup of yoghurt is very beneficial for women suffering from white discharge and piles.
- Mix the juice of the plant with honey. Regular intake reduces blood sugar levels and is beneficial for people suffering from diabetes.
- Mix a little honey in bermuda grass juice and drink thrice daily to treat menorrhagia.
How to consume Cynodon dactylon
Cynodon dactylon can be consumed in the form of
Paste: The paste of bermuda grass can be used as an application on any inflammation, wounds, skin ailments and pain. It is very effective in skin disorders, wounds and scars.
Powder: It is very helpful in nausea, diarrhoea, and piles.
Juice: The juice is useful in urine related disorders and urinary tract infections. It is also useful to stop bleeding occurring in body.
Cynodon dactylon does not really have any side effects when taken in the right amount. It is always better to consult a doctor for the correct dosage of the herb.