Capsicum is a very rich source of vitamin A and Vitamin C. It is also very rich in antioxidants. This chutney is very easy to make. It contains garlic, onions and capsicum, all of which are heart friendly.
- 2 red capsicums
- 1 onion
- 5-6 garlic flakes
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 cup curry leaves
- A gooseberry sized tamarind or a large red tomato
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 tsp of cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Keep a pan or wok on the stove and add a tsp of oil.
- Saute the onions till they get transparent.
- Add the curry leaves and red chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add the capsicums and saute for around 5 minutes till soft.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Put all the fried ingredients into a mixer jar and add coconut and garlic.
- Grind it till it reaches a chutney consistency.
You can also temper it (optional) with mustard, hing, a red chilli and a pinch of asafoetida. It is a very healthy dish and makes a great accompaniment to rice, rotis and dosas.
You can also grind this chutney without the coconut. When mixed with hung curd, it makes a great dip or a spreading sauce for sandwiches.