Natural Home Remedy - Cinnamon
Cinnamon Health Benefits
Cinnamon is a well known spice since ancient times. It originated from Srilanka and India. The scientific name is Cinnamomum Zeylanicum. It was once a very expensive spice - costlier than silver. Apart from its taste and aroma, it is considered a wonder spice for good health. The benefits from cinnamon can be attributed to its antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, astringent and anticlotting properties.
Studies on the health benefits of cinnamon have shown that:
- Cinnamon lowers cholesterol. The cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets. It aids the circulation of blood and significantly reduces the chances of getting a heart attack due to it's blood thinning property.
- It has a regulatory effect on blood sugar and helps in controlling Type II Diabetes. Cinnamon is said to slow the rate at which the stomach empties after meals, reducing the rise in blood sugar after eating. It helps people with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin, thus normalizing their blood sugar levels.
- It reduces the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells. Studies have shown that the flavonoids found in cinnamon effects leukemia and lymphoma cells.
- Taken with honey, every morning before breakfast leads to considerable relief in arthritis.
- Bile salts damage the colon cells in the body. Calcium and fibre bind to the bile salts and help remove them from the body, thus reducing the risk of colon cancer. Cinnamon is a great source of minerals like manganese, iron and calcium. It is also high in fibre.
- Research has proved that the scent of cinnamon has the ability to boost brain activity. Just inhaling it is said to help the brain.
Health benefits of honey and cinnamon
Receive updates by email when more home remedies are added to the site.
Honey and Cinnamon together are effective in many cases:
- It is consumed for bladder infections. It destroys the germs in the gall bladder.
- It clears stomach ulcers, relieves acidity and gas in the stomach, and digests heaviest of meals.
- It cures toothache. You can avoid bad breath by gargling with honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water, first thing in the morning.
- It is taken as an antidote for infertility.
- Cinnamon is used to cure flu, colds, sore throat and congestion.
- It is also effective for skin infections and yeast infections.