Natural Home Remedy-Cynodon dactylon
Cynodon dactylon/Bermuda grass
Cynodon dactylon(botanical name), is a perennial grass, forming thick mats, belonging to the family Poaceae. The grass called Bermuda grass is abundantly found in India. It is called Durva in Sanskrit, Dhub in Hindi and 'Arugam pullu' in Tamil. It grows all over in tropical countries. This grass grows to a height of 1 foot. The leaves are of greyish green colour and are 4 to 15 cm long.
Cynodon dactylon is said to have many medicinal properties and health benefits, including antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It contains protein, fibre, calcium phosphorus and potassium. It is an excellent detoxifier. It helps in maintaining the alkalinity of blood. This is one of the reasons Bermuda grass is able to cure diseases. Recent research at University of Allahabad in India has shown the glycemic potential of Bermuda grass. The study conclusively proves that Bermuda grass extract has significant hypoglycemic as well as antidiabetic effects. The result of the research suggests that cynodon dactylon may provide a therapeutic avenue against diabetes and diabetes-related complications in future.
Health benefits of Cynodon dactylon:
One of the most important health benefit of Cynodon dactylon is that, it helps the body help itself by optimising the immune system. People have started to realize the importance of a healthy immune system in the maintenance of health and the prevention of disease. In a study made on the efficacy of cynodon dactylon for immunomodulatory activity, it was found that that cdpf(cynodon dactylon protein fractions) promotes immuno modulation.
- This grass improves digestion and cures stomach ailments.
- Bermuda grass contains more than 65% chlorophyll. This helps in increasing the number of red blood cells in the body.
- Cures nervous weakness and general fatigue. It keeps the body strong and energetic.
- Another health benefit of cynodon dactylon is its ability to reduce acidity and eliminate toxins from the body.
- Continuous use helps in regular bowel movements and cures constipation.
- Its a good medicine for Insomnia.
- Helps to stop bleeding from the gums. Fortifies teeth and removes bad odour from the mouth. (Halitosis)
- Cures foot fissures.
- Improves breast milk production.
- Resists attack of cold and reduces phlegm.
- As said above, very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Its a an effective home remedy against skin rashes, itching and leprosy.
How to make bermuda grass juice extract:
Take a fistfull of the grass and wash it thoroughly. Extract the juice, using water sparingly. Add water to the juice in the proportion 3 parts of water to one part of the extract. You can drink it directly or with coconut water added to it. This should preferably be taken in the morning. Avoid taking any drink or food for the next 3 hours. This juice extract can be taken twice or thrice a day, though its best to take one dose in the morning.
Home remedies with Cynodon dactylon
- Cynodon dactylon is an effective home remedy that helps to detoxify the body. Juice of cynodon dactylon, taken every morning on empty stomach, helps in removing toxins from the body.
- A paste made from cynodon dactylon and turmeric can be applied on skin to treat problems like scabies and eczema. Regular application of this paste cures eczema and scabies.
- Boil about 10 gm of Cynodon dactylon and 2 gm of white pepper in 50 ml water and reduce it to 25 ml. Cool it and add a spoon of butter. This is said to treat anal itch and urinary tract infection.
- A paste of cynodon dactylon mixed in a cup of yoghurt is very beneficial for women suffering from white discharge and piles.
- Mix the juice of the plant with honey. Regular intake reduces blood sugar levels and is beneficial for people suffering from diabetes.
Further reading: http://ditonline.info/article/view/1795/1063
Cochlione C (3) inhibited human breast adenocarcinoma cell line (MCF-7) and human chronic myeloid leukemia cell line (K562)
Chemopreventive effect of Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. extract against DMH-induced colon carcinogenesis in experimental animals.
A healthy drink with Cynodon Dactylon
1/2 a cup Cynodon Dactylon (Bermuda grass).
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt and sugar to taste.
Grind the grass, pepper and cumin together. Add a glass of water to it, mix well and filter. Add a pinch of salt. Add sugar according to your taste. This makes a very healthy drink. Having this early in the morning is said to reduce hypertension, and cure diabetes and skin infections.
Disclaimer: The content found in this website is for informational purposes only, and is in no way intended as medical advice or as a substitute for medical counseling. Consult a doctor or naturopath before making any changes to your diet.
contact glossary sitemap resources feedback